Tuesday, April 25, 2006

What is in a name? Indolent Server

Indolent Server: The name given to me by my former Latin teacher, Dominicanus. See here and here for his recollection of events.

‘Tis true, I was a terrible student at the time but have seen the errors of my ways and for my sins am now taking 1st year Latin and Ancient Greek at university. Fr. Ephraem tried to teach me Latin from 1998-2000 when I formally stopped to complete the final years on school however continuing to serve the Dominican Rite Mass at least twice weekly. I just couldn't get my head around nouns and recall being far more interested with the wind-up nun in the living room. (Yes there really is such a toy! It even blew sparks out of the mouth!)

Ah, those were the days. Dominicanus even has a photo of a Solemn High Mass in the Dominican Rite on Ash Wednesday. For the record I’m the Acolyte on the left-hand side. St. Lawrence’s Church, North Adelaide is one of the more beautiful Church’s in Adelaide and is a popular place for weddings. However one visitor once likened to the altar to a birthday cake.

I would like to think my chanting of the Epistle and Lessons has improved in five years but I'll leave that for the congregation at Holy Name Church, St. Peters to judge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there Aaron,

You may not remember me at all, but I used to 'sneak' into Fr. Ephraem's Dominican rite mass too...This was ages ago (3-4 years back). I also attended Sunday mass at Holy Name at 930am.

I was rather quiet and being one of the few Asians around, I was possible the only odd one out, haha. Ask Adam Pope who Isaac is.

By the way, I am dropping by Adelaide soon. I've been in Malaysia for the past 2 and a half years.

If I can vaguely recall, I think you were confirmed in the Cathedral by Philip Wilson in a New Mass (how odd was that?) and Christopher Pearson was your sponsor? Anyway something like that.

Give me an 'e' if you can recall.

Isaac.

Anonymous said...

oh...sorry..and my mail address is spawntheone@hotmail.com

in case my name my have rung a bell

Isaac