Monday, August 14, 2006

The lost art of the genuflection

"When will he be able to genuflect again?"

Genuflection seems in many cases to be a lost art. It's rare to see a genuflection these days let along a proper one on the right leg!

A good server keeps his back dead straight and his right knee will bend and hit the ground right next to his left ankle. He will pause for a second then rise, again keeping his back straight. All the while his hands remain joined in the same position in the middle of the chest.

And if you're trained by the FSSP, you might actually have to clap your hands or click you fingers if you're the head server and it's time for the procession to genuflect in unison. I believe our servers are trained well enough not to need that!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I just found your blog. I remember when I was in grade school, the sister used to clap when they wanted the class to genuflect. We all genuflected in unison. Once VII took effect, that went out the window, along with May Processions and habits.

aaron said...

Hi. Thanks for the comments. It's funny how everything wen tout the window all at once...

Anyway, Can I urge you and others not to use the anonymous tag? Just put a nickname or whatever you like in the "other" tag.

Anonymous said...

They were ironed out... But I didn't take a year to learn! Like John! Com'on I was allowed to serve after about two months.

Anonymous said...

Yes, i have have had some of aaron's expliots narrated to me my by a certain Dominican. It wouldn't happen to a certain priest who used to be at St. Lawrence's, who is now here in Melbourne?