Monday, September 18, 2006

St. Joseph of Cupertino

Introit: Ecclus. 1. 14-15. The love of God is honourable wisdom: and they to whom she shall show herself, love her by the sight, and by the knowledge of her great works. Ps. How lovely are Thy tabernacles, O Lord of hosts! my soul longeth and fainteth for the courts of the Lord.

Gradual: Ps. 20. 4-5. O Lord, Thou hast prevented him with blessings of sweetness: Thou hast set on his head a crown of precious stones. v. He asked life of Thee and Thou hast given him length of days for ever, and for ages of ages.
---------
You can find out about St. Joseph of Cupertino here.

I was “introduced” to St. Joseph whilst in year 12. He had a learning disability, and legend has it that he would study intently for one small section of the material, because that was all he was able to do, and prayed that the material he studied would be what he was tested on. As it happened, the small amount of material that he had studied and knew was the material Joseph was tested on time and again in hsi examinations for priesthood.

It is from this, rather than his mystic behaviour, that he is a patron saint of students.

1 comment:

Chris Dickson, F.L.A. said...

My freshman year in college i was introduced to St. Joseph (no, not literally...I'm not that old.)

I was in the process of flunking Zoology (I hated that subject.) One of my dorm buddies told me to pray to St. Joseph of Cupertino for intercession.

When the final exam came, it was one question, an essay. It was on the one and only thing I knew about in the entire textbook.

I passed.

And I still hate Zoology!