Friday, October 13, 2006

Clearing up a few things

The debate about the Infant of Prague is still raging here if you care to continue...

Otherwise, I hesitantly point you to a post from Dominicanus. It refers to me. But is somewhat misleading.

Sure, the occasion is now imfamous. we had a Sydney visitor who outranked me so he sang the Epistle instead (Fr. Ephraem tended to sing daily mass regardless of the feast!!). This allowed me more time with the thurible. It was, as Father says, a very hot Adelaide day and a fan had been placed on the sanctuary to be some small comfort for the sacred ministers (it was midday Mass). Anyway, in my exhuberant youth (I was 14 or 15) I thought the best part about a Missa Cantata was the smoke. By the Intriot I had noticed that the fan was occasionally blowing past the thurible which was emitting more incence than usual. Therefore I decided to maximise this by placing the Thurible directly infront of the fan itself. It worked a treat. To my credit I suppose when Father motioned to me to remove the offending instrument I did so without fuss.

I hope this clears up some of the story which has become somewhat of an Irish tale in intersate circles.

4 comments:

Acolytus said...

Aaron, I have just realised who Aaron, I have just realised who your elderly relative is. As one who has heard the tale of ‘the fan and the thurible’ a number of times (from a number of different sources) I must say, he tells it the best. As that telling be the more entertaining (not to mention the respectability of those involved), I will take Elderly Relative and Fr. E's accounts as the more authorative.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Ah well. It is funny and amazing that a simple error on my part has spread around the country along with the 360deg incident. Not known as well is the incident when the charcol fell through a crack in the floor under the church...

Acolytus said...

As long as the church is still standing.

Anonymous said...

Well it's still there. Fr. and I poured bucket loads of water down the crack though just to ensure we put out the red charcoal.